8.12.2010

Day 9 — Someone you wish you could meet

To any doctor who specializes in Western and Chinese medicine:


I don't really know if you exist but if you do, please teach me your ways. How do you even practice on your patients with two different types of philosophies?! I'm really intrigued by both specialties and have been having a hard time deciding which path I want to take. As the MCAT trolls along, I honestly don't know if I'm making the right decision to go ahead with applying for the traditional AAMC schools first or go and take a 'break' by getting a masters in Chinese medicine. The MCAT score can only last for three years and if I plan it right, I can take the MCAT in Jan instead and apply for TCM school in the meantime. I've realized that I'm pretty fortunate that my parents are fine with whatever path I take as a career but I'm not so sure about my Aunt. Anyways, I wish I could meet you and discuss the possible options I could take because I doubt there's anyone on campus that could really help me out. =/.

sigh.

Thanks,
Jennifer


" But old traditions die hard; when biochemistry is valued more than ethics (and of course it is, because this is what you are tested on and your grades are based on both in school and your National Board exams); when being knowledgeable about the lab tests and x-rays is valued more than knowing the patient (and it often is by clinical teachers); when getting the work done is more important than understanding what work the patient wants done (and it very frequently is), it is hard to change."

Seriously. I don't understand why there's so much of a focus on grades and academics when in reality it should be more on compassion, committment and how you can apply the things you've learned to treat a patient, not just regurgitating random facts and information on a piece of paper. Meh.

0 Notes: