2.10.2010

Decisions decisions.

So on Monday I stopped by the BSP office to talk about my grades and plans after graduation, which was nice. Ever since I've came to college, I don't think I've ever really sat down with anyone to talk about how I was doing and what I wanted to do in the near future. With my limited Chinese skills, it's pretty hard to express how you're really feeling with regards to school with your parents, especially when they've never gone to college. My aunt is probably the best person to talk to about these kinds of things but now that she's working in HK, it's hard to communicate with her.

Anyways, I've come to this point where I NEED to do better in school or else I can't get to where I want to go. Despite taking a break from Aphio, my grades still sucked ass last semester with Bio1A&L, Physics and Anatomy combined together. (Ugh. If I had the chance to go back in time, I would have dropped anatomy like nobody's bi'nezz. UGHHHH. WHY COULDNT DIAMOND HAVE TAUGHT THE CLASS!?) My priorities weren't really sorted out right and everything I was doing (asides from Dragonboat) felt really last minute.
Anyways, talking to the BSP advisors has pretty much given me the following ultimatums.
1) Take 104 next semester instead, focus everything on Physics and kick ass on that class.
2) Take 104 and Physics and struggle between balancing the two.
3) Take a break from social life and stop going out so much.

Well. Seeing that people (including myself) are so gung-ho about Alcan, It going to be hard to drop out of DB. Also, I don't know if I can really see myself doing that given how much this team has grown. However, it's come to a point that I don't know if I can really handle going to the gym 7 days a week, coming back around 10-10:30PM and end up doing nothing for the rest of the night for the rest of the semester. (Yes. I know I can work out by myself but that's not the point. )Take Jsu for instance. Granted we call him a bitch for missing out on practices and stuff but asides from DSP, I trust that he's working hard on academics and getting an internship during the summer. I mean, ten years from now, what will really resonate on your college record? How much time you spend working out with your teammates or how much time you've spent studying for that Cell bio class? Don't get me wrong, I love DB and I won't be leaving anytime soon but perhaps it might be better for those individuals to cut some slack on people who need to study or have other priorities. Of course everyone has their own different situation though.

So pretty much it leaves to whether I want to deal with two equally hard classes at once where my grades from this point on will affect my chances of entering med school. The thing that gets me is that I actually like MCB104 in terms of the material but I can't drop physics now because it's too late. mm.
So we'll see. It really depends on how tomorrow's MCB quiz is going to be like.

On another note, what concerns me is that if I really do drop 104 and try to focus everything on physics, I still don't get to where I want to be. =/

3 Notes:

edonn said...

It's unfortunate that the drop deadline for physics is so early. :[ but i think you should try sticking with 104, especially cause you enjoy the subject material.

As far as working out goes, you could definitely go lifting during your break on Mon/Wed. I know Jasmina lifts around 10 something when she has a break. And lifting with a partner is always better than doing it by yourself. That would free up more time in the evening to be productive and still let you work out.

Unknown said...

I never did understand the early drop deadline for physics courses. *shrug*

As an opposite opinion, you might consider saving 104 for a semester when you can really put your energy into it, as you said it's something you actually like. I remember after WK semester, you mentioned you didn't do so well in one of your ochem classes and wished you could retake it, not just for the better grade, but so you could spend more time with the material.

Anonymous said...

7-10?? That's a really long time.